Thursday, March 31, 2016

End of Stress (dukkha) for everyone.

End of Stress (dukkha) for everyone.
Yesterday, the exams were over for the diploma, bachelor and masters students in my university. Yesterday, I also photocopied 4 sets and submitted my masters thesis with 130 pages. Thanks to many, including Pali teachers Sayadaw Dr. U Nodhi Nyana, U Pandita, U Thera and U Issariya who helped to check the Pali, and Lori Marsh and Jo Chan who helped to checked English in my thesis.
With numerous amendments and changes, I also got very stressed with my own paper. When trying to read my thesis, my eyes saw, but my mind could not see. This is stress. Nowadays, some writers translate the dukkha with the word 'stress'. This really applied to me.
In the first and second year, we have to attend only three hours for one week. But the subjects become more profound and deep, so we have to spend more time in reading and attend extra class.
During the second year, we have to write 50 pages, and then 100 pages for the third year in the masters. Since I take Pali as my major, my thesis title is 'Comparison study of Saddaniti and Kaccayana on Sandhi Kappa and Nama kappa'. Basically, this is a research on two ancient Pali grammar books that were written hundreds of years ago. It would be interesting if not for the stress.
I remembered in my diploma and bachelor studying time, I always had extra time to do whatever I want to read and do.
But writing masters thesis was certainly a real stress to my mind. All students are stressed at this time. Glad this challenge was over. Now, I can do my own reading, meditation and others.
When studying for my degree in computer science, that was when I was 25 years old, more than 17 years ago, the stress was there. But I was younger. Now, I am considered in the second part of life (33-66).
Hopefully, I can finish my Ph.D. before I reach the third part of life (66-100)!. I can definitely finish within another six years.
Not to say learning is compulsory for all, but of course, learning in an university has its advantage. One has to sit in the classes, listen to lectures, and also memorise for exams. One has to pass up assignments and thesis. Learning in the formal setting has its advantages.
Yesterday was also a new president for Myanmar. So yesterday was really a good day for everyone.
Now, the weather is very hot. Glad the stress and heat in the mind are gone now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

12 April 2024 Back to very basic nature of life

Back to very basic nature of life in the hot summer: Today, I shared with my Abhidhamma students about the difficulty of maintain the life i...